IO2: i-CONTENT INTERACTIVITY
IO2.3 - Guide of applications for interactive content
Kahoot! is a game-based learning platform that makes it easy to create, share, and play learning games or trivia quizzes, and carry out assessments in minutes. Kahoot! is available as an online platform and an application for tablets and smartphones (it works on both Android and iOS operating systems). The free version makes it easy for users to create simple quizzes, trivia or surveys (but only with up to 4 answers) to which photos (own or downloaded from the available photo library) as well as video and audio materials can be added. To create the account and the survey, the user shall go to https://create.kahoot.it/, while the answers are to be given on https://kahoot.it/. Once the quiz ends, the results of all contestants are displayed and they can be downloaded as an Excel spreadsheet. The large quiz database available is a great advantage.
On Kahoot! users do not need to have their own account, they just need to enter the appropriate code (sent by the tutor) on the website and their first name or other pre-defined identifier. It is possible to reject a participant who has given an inappropriate ID. However, the trainer must create a free account on the platform to create the quiz. When preparing a quiz, we can, among other things, determine the dynamics of the game. When creating a kahoot, we can set a timer for each question, add an extra question, double the points or set a small break in the game. When organising a kahoot, we can, among other things: randomise the order of questions or answers. In addition to quiz questions, you can also add questions such as: true or false, type in the answer or puzzle. We can also collect opinions through polls, word clouds or brainstorming.
- Free and easily accessible.
- Easy-to-use interface.
- Browser and mobile device-supported. Incorrect answers immediately followed by feedback and a correct answer. Can be used as an assessment tool. Possibility to share created quizzes.
- Introduces elements of gamification.
- Limited question options. Requires the use of a projector/screen. Problems with logging in. Limited number of characters per question (maximum 95).
- Good Internet connection is required.
- Free version offers the possibility to create two types of questions: multiple choice and true/false questions.
- Possibility to add an unlimited number of questions and quizzes. Possibility to upload images and videos. Unlimited number of players. Results can be saved in an .xls file.
- Suitable for adult education purposes but adults may find the aesthetics and symbol answers irritating.
Guidelines for Installation
The user registers at https://kahoot.com/. After clicking the ‘Sign up’ button (fig.1) choose the type of account (we have 4 to choose from). The next step is to answer the question ‘Who will you play Kahoot! with most often?’. Then choose from 4 possibilities and after that enter your date of birth and click ’Create a username’. Then click on the ‘Create an account’ button (you have to enter your e-mail address and password or you can log in with your Google or Microsoft account (Fig. 2)). Finally, select a mode in which you wish to use the application – ‘Premium’ (paid) or ‘Basic’ (Fig. 2).
Official Website and link to download
Platform for Development
It is an educational platform and an application for electronic devices.
- CMS compatible via the Quizlet platform
- Compatible with LMS through the Quizlet platform
- Compatible with Google Meet, Zoom